24.9.08

Crying it out...

A week ago Matt started sleeping 6 hrs during the night. At first I thought it could possibly be a fluke, but he seems to have settled into this routine, which I am very grateful for! 6 hrs of sleep I could easily function on; if I went down at the same time as Matt... need to work on that!
So now we are working on spacing his feedings out during the day... 3 hrs b/t each feeding and following the eat, awake, sleep routine. And the sleep has been the most difficult part b/c I've been trying to get him to cry it out... this afternoon it was 20 minutes of crying b/f he scummed to sleep, hard to watch. I knew that this would have to happen so Matt can learn to sooth himself to sleep. I didn't want to read that I would have to let him cry, but I did and know that it's better to do this now then 6 months from now.

Speaking of reading, ever since we decided to try and get pregnant I've read everything I could and can get my hands on. Some that I recommend are the following:
- Your pregnancy week by week
http://www.amazon.ca/Your-Pregnancy-Week-6th/dp/0738211095/ref=pd_sim_b_9
-Your baby's first year week by week
http://www.amazon.ca/Your-Babys-First-Year-Week/dp/0738209759
-Baby wise (which has a few more in it's series that I'm sure I'll enjoy)
http://www.amazon.ca/Becoming-Baby-Wise-Gary-Ezzo/dp/1576734587/ref=pd_bowtega_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222299032&sr=1-1

Baby products that I've really been impressed with:
-Our baby wrap; fits both Brent and myself (although Brent won't be seen in public with it on). It has been really handy and can instantly sooth Matt, although we have tried not to let this become a crutch to put him to sleep. It was very handy we went made a trip to Edmonton a couple weeks ago and did some shopping.
http://www.peapodcreations.ca/index.html
-Matt hasn't been overly keen on baby soothers and we've tried many different sizes and shapes in hopes of finally finding one that he likes. These gumdrop pacifiers seem to be the only ones he'll take and will calm him down and extend his time between feedings.
http://www.cheekymonkey.ca/Gumdrop.htm
-During pregnancy (to keep my maternity jeans up), and having to lift my shirt to breastfeed (and not wanting to show off my less then perfect new mommy tummy), bella bands have been a staple in my wardrobe.
http://www.cheekymonkey.ca/BellaBand.htm

2 comments:

Shannon Wicks said...

Thanks for sharing your tips! Looks like you guys are definitely settling in and getting some routines going.

I bet you were pretty excited to finally get outside and ride that cool new bike of yours?

Megan said...

Bike has been broken in (although not as much as I would like b/c of harvest). With this indian summer it's like july here right now!