4.10.08

Confession...

Taking advantage of this Indian summer, and of Dean's wife, Deb, (for her babysitting services), Dean and I hit the road this morning. The sun was shining, but the wind was definitely blowing. We had a hard earned out and back ride this morning, with the back all into the wind. We made it home around the hour mark, the longest stretch of cardio I've done since Matt's birth. It felt good to hurt, but made me realize how hollow my legs feel... there isn't a lot of strength... yet!

On the ride I started thinking about my first triathlon ever... which happened to be a half ironman (I couldn't have eased into the triathlon thing w/ a sprint or Olympic). It pour rain and the winds were terrible at the oilman half 2004. And here's where the confession comes in... going into the race I was 'maybe' putting in 1 hr a week on my bike... running training was with the running room's half marathon group, so probably 4 hrs a week. My swim training however was close to 10 hrs a week (obviously I had no structured training plan and was just flying by the seat of my pants). So even with training that would make me now shutter at the thought of doing a half on, I finished in 5:47. This wasn't a very popular event (only 6 others in my age category 20-29), but my time was good enough to give me 2nd for that age group. My swim was amazing... In fact I've never had a swim nearly as good (33 minutes), bike was terrible and pure torture (another confession; my longest ride prior to the race was maybe a hour!). So not having the bike fitness plus the rain and wind... I couldn't wait to get off. And I guess that's what made the run feel so good. Until the 15 km mark when I started paying for my lack of bike fitness- I was cramping up bad and started to struggle to not walk. Let me tell you I was so happy to finish! However, the next 3 days I could hardly walk!

2 comments:

Shannon Wicks said...

What is an Indian summer?

How is the new ride? I was thinking about a new bike next year and a buddy of mine said the one you are riding are great value for their money.

Megan said...

Indian summer is probably a politically incorrect term that refers to a streach of 20+ weather in the fall.

the bike is awesome; but i haven't been on it since the beginning of october... maybe i'll do a ride every day in January!

yeah, tom at way past fast told me he recommends the p2c over the p3... said you're better off to save you're money and buy race wheels! going to have to work on brent to get me those wheels!